Anybody else having trouble restoring from their backups?

Gaming discussion related to Steam.
AustNerevar

Anybody else having trouble restoring from their backups?

Post by AustNerevar »

The two games I've tried to restore from the Steam backups I made of them were LIMBO and Assassin's Creed. Both times, Steam just tries to redownload the games. Am I doing something wrong? I made sure to select Backup and Restore Games from the "File" dropdown menu at the top. I've already made some physical copies of my games using this site and I'd hate to have them be useless. This idea has made me the most excited about my Steam library than I've ever been (I need a life).

Has anyone else encountered this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks.

By the way, I'm new here. I introduced myself in another thread, but since this is my third post I thought I'd mention it.

I asked this here, instead of on a Steam forum or elsewhere, because I figure if anyone has encountered this problem, it's you guys.
Kexikus

Re: Anybody else having trouble restoring from their backups

Post by Kexikus »

I just tested it and it seems to work for me. But I only tried it once, so I can't be certain.
You select "Restore Prievous Backup" in the Backup menu and select the right folder (the one called like the game)?
Or are your backups older and still use .exe files, you need to run in order to restore from them? I don't know how those work with the newer backup system, so that might be a problem.
AustNerevar

Re: Anybody else having trouble restoring from their backups

Post by AustNerevar »

I used the Restore Backup selection in the menu and restored from the folder that Steam created. The old .exe way doesn't work on 64 bit systems. I already tried that, hoping it would fix my problem. It sucks because the .exe gives backup discs and autorun feature.

Anyway, anytime I try to restore a backup, it just tries to download the game again. I'm on satellite internet, with a 400 MB daily cap, so these backup discs were going to be a godsend :(