Steam Box what do you think about?

Gaming discussion related to Steam.
knufax

Steam Box what do you think about?

Post by knufax »

As you might know steam is working on some kind of console pc based on linux (but windows should aslo be possible) with Steam on it.

It should be quite the same as a small gaming pc for your living room with game pad.

What do you think about it? Will you buy it or will time show if you will :mrgreen:
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: Steam Box what do you think about?

Post by PieMonster »

I've had a high-end gaming PC hooked up to my television for years now (long before Big Picture was even announced) so a "Steam Box" really doesn't impress me either way. As a matter of fact, I think the biggest hurdle Steam has to conquer is making the price affordable. If they can release a system just a powerful as the next PlayStation and Xbox AND sell it for less then I think more people will jump back to PC gaming.
:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
knufax

Post by knufax »

Yes i also think the same. I own a good pc and im not really planing to change it. And anyways i just don`t like game pads that much.

Im also quite unsure how they will do with games since it will be mainly linux based, what will happen to all the games which were not portet to linux.

If it will be successful im sure developer will also release a steam box/linux version but they woun`t port the old games. But maybe valve got a surprising feature for linux steam client which makes this possible in develop,
Kexikus

Post by Kexikus »

Personally, I have no need for the Steam Box either because I own a better PC.
But I agree with PieMonster: If Valve can sell a system as powerful as the next generation consoles for a good price, there is a good chance for more people buying it. And if that happends, it's a great chance for PC gaming, because developers had a bigger reason to create a good PC version and will hopefully stop making ugly ports.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

@Kexikus Actually, the cool thing about this upcoming generation of consoles (XBOX 720, PS4) is that they're both running on x86 hardware which is the exact same hardware that's running your PC. There won't be anymore "ports" as the PC will be the lead platform from now on.
:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
knufax

Post by knufax »

no more ports :-) this sounds to good to be true :mrgreen:
Kexikus

Post by Kexikus »

@ PieMonster:
Let's hope so.
I think that there will still be far to many games exclusively for consoles.