Trusted Uploaders

Post any suggestions or ideas for Steam Game Covers here.
calculon559

Trusted Uploaders

Post by calculon559 »

I am proposing a new type of user called "Trusted Uploaders"

These users would be able to upload covers for games that are not on the SGC system. As far as I can tell, the only additional info needed would be the steam id of the game; the rest of the upload process would the same e.g. game: other, type in name of game etc.

Of course, being a "Trusted Uploader" would be a privilege, not a right. Only an admin or mod(?) would be able to grant the status, as well as revoke it if they deem it necessary. Criteria for acceptance would basically be if you have uploaded covers for 'new' games correctly over a period of time.

Somethings would need to be discussed before this were to move forward, such as whether the status should be made public or not, what would be the specific grounds for giving and/or revoking of status, whether there is an application process or not, but that's the general gist of the idea.

What do you think?
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: Trusted Uploaders

Post by PieMonster »

I don't understand what the perks of being a "trusted uploader" would be. It sounds like the only extra privilege they would get is being able to add new games to the database. I know that sometimes it takes me an extra day or two to approve a new cover but is the wait really that long?

:?:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

PieMonster wrote:I don't understand what the perks of being a "trusted uploader" would be. It sounds like the only extra privilege they would get is being able to add new games to the database.
That's basically it, yeah
PieMonster wrote:I know that sometimes it takes me an extra day or two to approve a new cover but is the wait really that long?
It's not the wait that's the problem, it's the fact that in that time, other people can upload covers for games already on the system, so that by the time the new game cover is approved, it never got on the newest label/cover section, so nobody knows they exist.

Also, and as far as I know this is an isolated incident, the main catalyst for bringing this suggestion up is when I uploaded my covers for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Went through the normal process, everything was fine, until I saw what game they were listed under: Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition.

That was not my doing, I listed it under Other: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I even searched for the term and it was added! Someone slipped up, don't ask me how, and I realize it wasn't intentional, but I try to keep standards with my uploads, and that made me look sloppy. I ended up deleting those covers, along with the few download #s and comments, and reuploading under the correct title. With the "Trusted Uploader" system, that wouldn't happen, except if it did, but that would be my fault and my responsibility.

I'm sure some of you will read all this and think I'm taking this much too seriously. And I would probably agree with you somewhat. But I like doing these covers and taking the time to make them look good. And I guess I would just like more responsibility with my uploads?

Apologies for the wall of text.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Some of this is my fault. I was posting announcements of the latest covers on the main page but I've been pretty busy lately and haven't been posting any announcements. I was thinking of changing the format of the main page to something that highlighted the latest covers better - maybe the latest top 20? What do you think?

:geek:
calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

Latest Top 20 is not a bad idea.
Razec

Post by Razec »

A latest Top 20 games, and not just specific artworks.

Basically if someone posted about 10 Quantum Break covers, labels, etc... Quantum Break would be 1 sole item, and then MKXL could be another. Maybe truncate it to a top 10 latest, as Calculon being a top contributor posts quite a few jems.
calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

Razec wrote:A latest Top 20 games, and not just specific artworks.

Basically if someone posted about 10 Quantum Break covers, labels, etc... Quantum Break would be 1 sole item, and then MKXL could be another. Maybe truncate it to a top 10 latest, as Calculon being a top contributor posts quite a few jems.
Aw thanks :D But yeah, agree 100%, Razec. 10 different games is better than 20 covers of the same game e.g. No Man's Sky.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Sorry for the wait guys, I'm in the middle of some other projects. I'll try to get something up soon.

:geek:
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Just wanted to let you know that we've been reworking the main page. We should have something up later this week.

:ugeek: