Blu-ray case templates - Issues and Ideas.

Post any suggestions or ideas for Steam Game Covers here.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Blu-ray case templates - Issues and Ideas.

Post by PieMonster »

Blu-ray discs and cases are definitely in the future of PC gaming and here on Steam Game Covers as well. I’ve been looking into integrating them into our current line of templates. There are a few issues we will encounter with them and I wanted to go over them with our community. Your thoughts are valuable in helping me navigate this new frontier so please post your comments and opinions it this thread.

First up, Blu-ray DISCs are exactly the same size and dimensions as CD and DVD discs. We will continue to use the current “DISC FACE” template for all discs. No changes necessary. I’ve noticed a lot of designers do not place a “PC-DVD Software” logo on their discs and cases. This will actually make your cover more relevant as we introduce Blu-ray cases. I, however, will continue to use logos.

In regards to the actually case art, we will have to create a new template to accommodate the size. The issue that I’ve come across is that there are 2 different sizes in use for Blu-ray cases and I’m not sure which one we should go with. The size difference is in the thickness of the spine and not its height. This will, of course, also affect its width. Here are the 2 common sizes and their descriptions.
  • 11 or 12.5mm thick (American version) – this is the common movie Blu-ray case. It’s thinner than the common DVD case.
  • 14 to 15mm thick (European version) – One reason it’s thicker in Europe is to accommodate booklets and extras within the case. This size is actually the same thickness as a regular DVD case. It is also the size used for Sony PlayStation 3 games.
To the best of my knowledge, there are no PC games released today on Blu-ray disc (at least not in America). Being so, I have no clue which direction the industry will be taking. I am leaning towards the European version simply because it tis the format of choice on the PS3. I assume the PC game world will follow suit. I don’t want to choose 1 format and have it be the wrong one if the other one becomes the choice of the industry. I don’t want to create templates for both formats because I believe it will only lead to confusion amongst designers and downloaders.

So the question is, what do we do? Should we just wait it out? Should we pick a format?
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
Viper_Bravo

Re: Blu-ray case templates - Issues and Ideas.

Post by Viper_Bravo »

I'm thinking the PS3 size case is the best choice. The clear case also allows for reverse side/inside cover art as well PieMonster.

I think BR will become a standard for PC gaming, just as DVD did before it. DVD supplanted CD due to increasing file sizes, and i think Bluray will do the same to DVD. Max Payne 3 is a prime example, retail it comes on 4 DL DVDs, by the time games were coming out on 4 CD or more DVD was already making inroads in to the market. A single DL BluRay would have held all of Max Payne's DVDs
Last edited by Viper_Bravo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In the end, There can be ONLY ONE!" Highlander
Razec

Post by Razec »

Don't use any Blu-Ray case.

In all honesty have you ever seen a Blu-Ray case for sale?

I've never seen one in any store I've been to maybe online, but never in a brick and mortar store.

I think it will be highly irrelevant to even introduce it.

Maybe when the first Blu-Ray PC game is introduced will it be smart to do it, but for now I don't think so.

I personally do have a couple of games burned on Blu-Ray -- for instance all Prince of Persia games are in one nice Steam back up file on a single layer BD-R.

I understand you are thinking about the future, but you are going way too far ahead. I'm more than sure most people don't have a Blu-Ray burner let along a player.

I believe "WHEN" the PC industry goes into Blu-Ray territory it will be very few games if any honestly. As much as I hate it and fear it, cloud gaming and digital purchases is whats in stored for the PC Gaming community. But if Blu-Ray is around long enough as well I'm more than sure publishers will adopt a DVD sized case with Blu-Rays.

Hell it was only till a few years ago they stopped using the cardboard boxes and went to those same thickness DVD cases, and till recently the regular sized DVD cases.

Not trying to knock down your idea or sound "jerkous" about it, but this is what I see.

Don't see physical going much further that what it is today.

This is the main reason I come to this site religiously and make my own covers and labels for my games. But now Steam has a very horrible way of not backing up their games into EXE files which I hate.

But in conclusion sorry for the story, I just can't see Blu-Rays coming in, and if they do, they will be regular DVD sized. That is my prediction.

One thing you can do is just make a template with both thicknesses.

If either is requested just have the uploaded do some changes for the person.

But of course this is the nearish future....
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

So at this point we have:

-1 vote for the thicker European case, and
-1 vote for no Blu-ray cases at this time.

Anyone else care to contribute to this discussion?
:|
atrusredtalon

Post by atrusredtalon »

I agree with Viper_Bravo, I think the PS3 cases are the best bet.
Click, click. . . .BOOM!!
Razec

Post by Razec »

My only thing is, has anyone even seen Blu-Ray cases for purchase? At least the European style/PS3 style cases?

I did a search and saw the regular clear blue Blu-Ray cases. Nothing else

I'm all for it don't get me wrong, but why not just keep it simple and leave them in the DVD style cases as they are.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

@Razec does have a good point. Perhaps it is too early to introduce Blu-ray cases. If the industry isn't doing it, then why should we? Any other opinions?
Viper_Bravo

Post by Viper_Bravo »

I am still for BR case art. It might not be standard yet, but I think its till a great medium to use. True you can just run down to a store and by cases, but

http://www.meritline.com/14mm-frosty-cl ... 45035.aspx &
http://www.cdrom2go.com/product/usdm-ps ... 754_73.htm

are two places to get them at.

BR will be for all my collection needs!
"In the end, There can be ONLY ONE!" Highlander
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

I'm reviving this thread. With the announcement of the PS4 and the "cough" Xbox One, Blu-Ray cases are going to become the norm. I'm going to make an educated guess that both gaming companies are going to go with the thicker European cases. Retail PC games should follow suit and so will we. We'll know the answer later this year and introduce a template. In other words:

"Blu-Ray cases are coming to Steam Game Covers this year!"

:lol:
knufax

Post by knufax »

Well i don`t think we need it or need it yet.

1. is someone wants to use blue rays for backup he still can use it and put them into a normal dvd case. Since ppl visiting this page are Mainly people who already own the game and just want to make a backup. So basically we don`t need to care about it. Because he can burn the backup on blue ray he also can install from it.

as already said blue ray cases aren`t really available and when blue rays come to pc market there will be a fixed layout and if not, anyone can put theire blue rays into a normal dvd case.

It also would be a lot of work to put our current covers into the new blue ray size. I think it is still to early for this step.