Jewel Case Back Idea

Post any suggestions or ideas for Steam Game Covers here.
HunsonAbadeer

Jewel Case Back Idea

Post by HunsonAbadeer »

While I was making a back of a Jewel Case I was wondering why both of the steam Logos are showing in the same direction. Since you fold it up, the right one would be upside down. I made another template with corrected direction so if you want it, just send me your mail adress.
m4c1990

Re: Jewel Case Back Idea

Post by m4c1990 »

Haha, this is what I already said, the left text and the left steam Logo should be turned by 180°..
Some people turned the text by 180° but not the logo, it looks not good imo.

If the template get updated, I can reupload all my Jewel Case Back parts, because they are all rotated (text and logo)
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

m4c1990 originally brought this topic up to me before. I did a little more research into it by going into my personal collection:

The side in question is the LEFT back side of the jewel case. You can see my custom cover of Unmechanical next to several other retail games. They are all facing in the same direction. To be fair, I also had some other games with the text facing the other way as well.

Here in America, game jewel cases aren't as popular as they used to be (I guess I'm a dying breed). I'll do more research the next time I'm a Fry's Electronics or Best Buy. Can anyone else (especially from other countries) post screenshots of current jewel PC games? I'm curious to explore this issue further. In the meantime please don't alter the templates (though you can print text in any direction you like).

:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
m4c1990

Post by m4c1990 »

"HunsonAbadeer" is my bro, thats why he posted it first..
Every Jewel Case I have/had looks like this one:

Even empty DVD-R & stuff :)
HunsonAbadeer

Post by HunsonAbadeer »

Like my brother said/shown. The logo and name of the game were always facing the viewer when the case was hold from the front and turned sideways. Also I found 2 other examples to show it.

These might be bad examples to what I want to say :/ But still..

I don't think the country has something to do with the layout but I would be very happy if you could support our idea and add the template that I send you to "fan made"
Kexikus

Post by Kexikus »

Just checked my 4 official jewel case games:
3 of them are designed the way the SGC covers are and one of them has the text you don't want to change rotated but not the other one.
m4c1990

Post by m4c1990 »

Ok, then check these covers:

Call of duty 4: Modern Warfare
or
Metro: Last Light

Or all jewel covers of the respective users, the left text is rotated in contrast to the Original SGC Template, but not the logo on the top = looks shitty..

Personally I would like to post jewel case back cover with the left text rotated like the examples in my post, but the logo should be turned aswell.. -.-"
Why is something like this not standardized... Even empty DVD Covers looks like the covers I posted earlier...
HunsonAbadeer

Post by HunsonAbadeer »

OK... Now after my brother showed me what I was missing: The green bar actually goes around from the front to the back, I agree with your idea.

But still, the template needs to be changed so the Steam Logo doesn't stand upside down.

Thank you for your reply

Hunson
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Thanks guys for all of the feedback; I didn't even know this was an issue. I don't know why this isn't standarized; it seems like companies tend to do whatever they want for that left spine. I'm going to hit up a few stores this week and check out what current jewel case games are doing these days; If the template needs to be altered I'll try to have it up by next weekend. Please hold off on submitting any more jewel back cases untill then. Thanks for all the imput.

:geek:
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Hey all, I've had a chance to check out a few jewel cases at stores here in America. Here are my findings. For the most part, jewel case PC games aren't readily available (or PC games in general). Jewel case games are mostly limited to budget games/software. All current/popular PC games come in Amary/DVD style cases.

Of the PC games that I did see however, most were printed in the same direction as the current SGC templates. I would occasionally find one or two that were printed in the opposite direction; it was like 1/10.

I know jewel cases are more popular in other countries and you guys have shown me proof of text being printed in the other direction. So, the question is what do we do?

You can continue using the same template and just print your text in any direction that you like. I can also make an alternative template with the left side Steam logo flipped in the opposite direction. It will remain in the same position at the top of the case (to match the front) but flipped horizontally to match the new text direction. Does that sound good for everyone? I can get working on it sometime tomorrow.

As a side note, have you noticed any games where the text on right side of the jewel case is printed in the other direction?

:ugeek: