Stardew Valley (WIP)

User tutorials or work in progress related to disc labels/covers.
DarkXess

Stardew Valley (WIP)

Post by DarkXess »

Hey guys, I have just joined and this is my very first post first off, hey to you all ;)

Anyways, here I present you with my test project, lol... I have downloaded the SGC template and edited it to my liking with all the things I need to just put in the final images of the game & title etc then done. I would love some feedback on it please, here is one of Stardew Valley, pretty simple as I don't want to go far out on my first go.

Hope you like it, and thanks :)

IMGUR Link: https://i.imgur.com/d0sIYUr.jpg
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: Stardew Valley (WIP)

Post by PieMonster »

Hello,

It looks fine to start with. The front looks like it could use an image on top of that background. The main character(s) perhaps? On the back there is some dead space. I would add some more characters or designs to those spots. Hope this helps.

:geek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

Thanks, mate, made some modifications and here is the final that I am happy with, also submitted to the site.

https://i.imgur.com/EztYesf.jpg

I uploaded it as a .JPG file and I'm wondering if that is recommended? wouldn't a .PNG be better? I am only asking as my .PNG file for that same one was 32mb haha. Maybe lower it a bit more on compression?

Still open for feedback though, thanks :)
kafar

Post by kafar »

Haha, I saw your first post and wanted to say that it's cool, but I'd try changing few things. Bigger logo, higher quality background and to encourage you to toy a bit with the layout on the back (it's fun and you usually know when it just "clicks"). And your final version is just that . FWIW I like it very much and hope it's first of many :D

PNG is a lossless format, so if you want to use it, you should definitely set the highest compression setting possible. It will result in smaller files without any damage to image quality. BTW what software are you using?

And finally... welcome on board and have fun :)
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

Hey Kafar and thank you so much for the feedback, as for the background that was the highest quality I could find, I think that the pixel look of it (the game) itself doesn't make things better so for this I can get away with it haha. As for the front logo, yea I see its a little low in quality now, my bad... I will remember next time.

And yes, I have been experimenting with .PNG and the covers come out at around 7 to 8mb which is good as the max file upload is 20mb on here. I will also do this next time :)

I was actually working on a lot of my template which I am happy with, your design with the steam theme kind of inspired me for mine though I didn't want to directly copy it, though honestly before your reply I was debating or not to add the blue line just above my background on the bottom layer as its like that on the bottom of the front steam logo banner too. It kind of gives it that break feeling.

I am using Photoshop, and thank you for your welcoming, I am sure going to make many, I am a collector of game cases back in the day and kind of miss having my selfs stacked with games, though I have almost 600 games on steam so I have a looooooong way to go lol.

Edit: Just finished my 2nd one, this one is the highest quality I could get, and just under 8mb .PNG

https://i.imgur.com/KRFEEKN.jpg
domidodo

Post by domidodo »

First of all a: hello :)
I like your new cover. However, I feel the contrast between the description behind and its background as too low.
Maybe it's better with a transition from black to dark red. But the text more in the black area. (I hope it's clear what I mean :D )
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

domidodo wrote:First of all a: hello :)
I like your new cover. However, I feel the contrast between the description behind and its background as too low.
Maybe it's better with a transition from black to dark red. But the text more in the black area. (I hope it's clear what I mean :D )
Hey mate, Hi too :)

Which cover do you mean? I have now made 6 in the past week since this thread was made so I am not sure if your still meaning this (Stardew Valley) one or?

Thanks
domidodo

Post by domidodo »

DarkXess wrote: [...]
I am using Photoshop, and thank you for your welcoming, I am sure going to make many, I am a collector of game cases back in the day and kind of miss having my selfs stacked with games, though I have almost 600 games on steam so I have a looooooong way to go lol.

Edit: Just finished my 2nd one, this one is the highest quality I could get, and just under 8mb .PNG

https://i.imgur.com/KRFEEKN.jpg

This one.
I see, it's some time ago :D
Sry, I am currently busy and rarely online :|
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

domidodo wrote:
This one.
I see, it's some time ago :D
Sry, I am currently busy and rarely online :|
Oh, I see now, and its cool about you rarely being online, no need to be sorry :)

That was actually my 2nd one, still learning the process and still very much tweaking the final template I have. I felt that it was okay though as its theme of the game which I have played also is very red/black, I went with the same color as the title of the game to keep it all in context.

Anyway, I do also think you are right, maybe having more of a backing of the text so that it can be clearly and easier to read. I will keep making more and getting better anyway, at least until I am a 100% happy with the final outcome, right now it's not that perfect but gradually getting there haha.

Thanks for your feedback mate :)
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

@DarkXess great job on the covers. In just the few that you've created I can see growth. I recommend making some disc art to go along with your cases. You'll find they're actually easier to create than the cases.

;)
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/