Crysis 3 (Origin) WIP

User tutorials or work in progress related to disc labels/covers.
DarkXess

Crysis 3 (Origin) WIP

Post by DarkXess »

I know that Origin isn't accepted here but I am just showing this off for feedback.

Hope you like it :)

https://i.imgur.com/zpXEKMI.jpg
kafar

Re: Crysis 3 (Origin) WIP

Post by kafar »

IMHO it would benefit from hi res backgrounds. Also, play around with the layout on the back ;) (bigger screenshots/less text/different font, toy with it:)

As for hi-res images, here are some places you can try looking for resources:
I realize that most/many of these are probably obvious and well-known, but you know this, maybe someone else will find it useful.
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

^in fact a lot of this I didn't know, so thanks for sharing, I will get the hang of it, just posted a (RUINER) game cover and it's pretty solid I hope. Thanks once again for feedback mate :)

Edit: personally I think the Crysis 3 one is good but just the rear backing image is shite lol, I see it now :|
Anything other than that you think is wrong and that I can do better on?
kafar

Post by kafar »

Don't get me wrong, I do like the overall design idea and how you keep the color of logo consistent for fonts and frames. But I'd go with bigger screenshots, since there's a lot of space for them, and try a different background to make everything more contrast (and then adjust text to it).

That said, please keep in mind, that all I'm saying is just an opinion of a total layman :) I really do enjoy creating covers, but I have no training in graphics design and it's nothing else, but a hobby of mine.
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

haha, I'm cool with the feedback mate, even if you were to say it was absolute shit! LOL

I want to get better, and to do that I need the criticism, good or bad and it does help so keep it coming :D

Maybe my wrongdoing is adding too much info of the game on the back? maybe less and much bigger images as you said? I am wanting to work on the images anyway to make them cooler instead of just flat pasted on top lol.
calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

imo, Modern back cover design can be boiled down to: one large picture with attention grabbing header and usually a paragraph about the story or general premise, then three screenshots with bullets points about the gameplay, usually features that they think make the game stand out.

It's not a concrete set of rules for back cover design, but like teal-and-orange color grading in films, once you know it, you'll start seeing it everywhere, or at least more often, and it's a formula I use (or at least start off with) when i have to do fully custom covers.

One other suggestion; look at covers you like, then ask yourself 'Why do I like this cover?' Aesthetics? Layout? Images? Fonts? Absolutely nothing wrong with taking inspiration from others work and applying it to your own.
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

calculon559 wrote:imo, Modern back cover design can be boiled down to: one large picture with attention grabbing header and usually a paragraph about the story or general premise, then three screenshots with bullets points about the gameplay, usually features that they think make the game stand out.
^Gets to the point though and sounds so simple, but what about the (attention-grabbing header) what if the game doesn't have one? would you actually make one up yourself or replace it with?!?

I was just looking at your latest (crash bandicoot) one and see exactly how you mean with what you're saying.

Just one question to you both really, do you ever swap fonts depending on the game/cover art etc? of course the game's title should go with what it originally looks like, but what about the (features) and (introduction) if any? Do you stick to one font or?

Thanks guys :)
kafar

Post by kafar »

Calculon is right and like he said, it's not a concrete set of rules. If you don't find a tagline anywhere and can't come up with one yourself, then skip it (your ICEY cover looks good without any header). A wall of text is to be avoided, but it doesn't mean it never looks good. Large picture/background image is usually a way to go, but a plain and/or segmented background can look good as well. It's all up to you and weather you want to keep up with the original cover (as long as there is one), or want to get creative.

Same goes for fonts (and everything else really). Personally, I try to use the same fonts that were used on original covers, something similar or fonts that just fit with the overall theme, but the most important thing is that whatever you put on the back, has to be easily readable :)

EDIT: And yeah, if you like someone's design, be that the original cover, website layout or something you see here, feel free to use it in your own creations. After all, it's nice to see someone was inspired by you work :)
DarkXess

Post by DarkXess »

Okay, I got it with the fonts, thanks :)

And yea, that ICEY one I am not shitting you it was difficult as 1. the logo was custom made as I couldn't find one at all after ages in searching. And 2. even the company logo (Chinese company) was very hard to find. Not only that but the sources for decent images were very little so I did my best and it turned out well.

I just finished this one which is waiting to be accepted on here and I am very happy with it, I am getting more used to it now https://i.imgur.com/CIss5U8.jpg

And Kafar glad you said that I added the bluish bar to my rear part where the specs are etc ...... similar to yours :geek:

Actually, one thing about specs, do you guys usually add ONLY the minimum or recommended? I am adding only the minimum as it makes more sense that way.

calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

DarkXess wrote:Actually, one thing about specs, do you guys usually add ONLY the minimum or recommended? I am adding only the minimum as it makes more sense that way.
I usually add both minimum and recommended specs since that's what 'real' covers do, and it's also a good space filler, especially when I'm using a smaller cover as a basis like ps4 or xb1, or if I have to remove elements from a pre-existing pc cover e.g. health warnings or 'does not contain disc'.