Print Media of choise. / Poll

General discussion related to Steam Game Covers.
Viper_Bravo

Print Media of choise. / Poll

Post by Viper_Bravo »

I'm stating this thread because i want to see what people use to print there Cover Art, and why.

LightScribe

Printable Disc Media

Sticky labels, and what brand/s

or any other options.
"In the end, There can be ONLY ONE!" Highlander
atrusredtalon

Re: Print Media of choise. / Poll

Post by atrusredtalon »

As of right now I just use my LightScribe to print on disks, for the covers I will just use my inkjet printer.
Click, click. . . .BOOM!!
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

For discs I use single-layer DVD-Rs with Lightscribe. For cases I have access to a full color laser printer.
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
Razec

Post by Razec »

Would any of you mind showing a picture of how the lightscribe comes out.

Funny thing is we had a conversation about lightscribe in a Hardware course I took a year ago. The tech was pretty much dead when it started.

I've seen how it works and how it comes out, but I would like to see how it comes out with a game label on it.

And to be on topic, I use Memorex High Gloss CD Labels. I bought 4 packs off Amazon for about $10 each. Bad thing is I'm running out of ink on my inkjet HP-POS printer.

For case inserts so far I haven't found any media that prints well in rich color, I've seen recommendations for High Gloss Brochure Paper, so I'm going to give that a crack. I bought some Memorex Disc Insert paper, which was supposed to give good quality images, but it didn't.

Could be a mix of my ink running out and not producing good colors, but the material wasn't all that great.

So what I will do and show off in the future is a High Gloss Label and a High Gloss Brochure paper Insert.

I am pretty anal and OCDish about my things like this, but I like to keep things looking good and the best.
Viper_Bravo

Post by Viper_Bravo »

Razec wrote:Would any of you mind showing a picture of how the lightscribe comes out.
Sure, Lightscribe tends to work best with artwork that has good contrast. If your going to use a color image you need to make it black and white in Photoshop then adjust the colors to increase the contrast. Below is a nice LS image with great contrast.

This is a bad LS image, for several reasons. Contrast was never touched so things look way to light. Also, there is a setting in the LS software to intensify the image,IE make it darker, but that wasn't applied. LS is also nice because if you want to re-burn the image on the disc, to darken it, the notches on the inner rings allow the software to realign the disc so there is no ghosting like effect.

"In the end, There can be ONLY ONE!" Highlander
Razec

Post by Razec »

Just wanted to show you a cover I printed on HP Presentation Glossy paper I bought.

The pack of 50 is about $15 from Staples, it can be found cheaper else where of course. The paper is a bit thick so I will scour around for some thinner media to print on. I have yet to use Brochure paper so I will give that a try next.

This paper even with my crappy inkjet printer -- crappy to me at least, did very well. Again the only problem I saw with it, is that it is pretty thick.

I have a paper cutter and even that had a bit of trouble cutting through it, its a cheap one so I know a better one will do the job.

But check it out and tell me what you guys think.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2893/2 ... 231658.jpg
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

@Razec That actually looks really cool! Thanks for sharing it. I never thought about printing on glossy paper. I generally use matte photo paper and a laser printer (from work).
Razec

Post by Razec »

Cool, I don't have the luxury of using a laser printer.

But I am actually very pleased with how this came out. One thing I don't like is the Memorex Glossy Disc Labels. I'm going to give Avery or another brand a try.

One thing that I don't like from this paper is its thickness like I said before. Its either I get a better paper cutter, steadier hands for cutting with scissors, or thinner paper of course.

I didn't like the quality finish of matte paper.

If you could show a picture, but mine came out lazy looking in color and very lacking. But again it is an inkjet printer as opposed to a laser printer.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Sorry for the delay. Here is a sample for "The Ball" cover printed on matte regular paper with a laser printer (I also threw in the disc).

Eldgrim

Post by Eldgrim »

Hello,

How do you print these covers? Is it okay to print them into A4 size papers?